Ocean Export Representative
Ocean Export Representative
Laufer Group International Ltd. has established a complete logistics and service platform from which we provide our customers with improved shipping flexibility, enhanced operational control, and exceptional customer service. Laufer customizes a logistics package for each customer and provides air freight and ocean services, logistics, customs brokerage, and purchase order and export management. Headquartered in New York, NY with 8 US Offices and dedicated partners strategically located throughout the world, Laufer Group International has the local expertise, resources, and market knowledge to be your true global logistics solutions provider. Our mission to 'Deliver Integrity' continues to be evident in our customer centric and solutions based approach. For more information about any of our products or services, please contact your local Laufer Group International office or visit us at www.Laufer.com
- Communicates with the client to understand shipment specifications, refers to the cost management tool, Cargosphere, for ocean carrier's rates, identifies the routing, validity, and commodity when selecting carrier and cost
- Communicates with pricing department to get appropriate rates
- Creates a quote in Laufer's quote systems, emails quote and requests feedback from client
- Reviews quotes prior to a vendor (carrier, trucker, etc.) being contracted and reviews the tariff once a quote is approved by the customer (or agent for overseas routed consignments), to ensure a corresponding rate is filed with the FMC.
- Books with the ocean carrier and make sure to get important dates; (earliest return, latest return, cuff off dates, date of departure, and expected arrival date), Create booking in AS400 and send confirmation to client though AS400.
- Be aware of several important dates as part of the booking confirmation process: Port/rail, VGM, Doc & AES all have cut off dates that if missed will impact the movement of consignments.
- Cross reference information to identify any discrepancies in the booking process
- Arrange for trucking if required
- Ability to create various documents; MBL, HBL, file AMS, and familiar with other export documents i.e. Letters of Credit, Certificates of Origin, Commercial Invoices, etc.
- Post and bill out costs in AS400
Key Skills and Qualifications
A booking position at the company requires a specific skill set. Below is a list of skills minimally required to execute the requirements/expectations:
- Strong geographical awareness and experience routing international cargo
- 2 years' experience
- Understanding of ocean carrier services and operations (including carrier partnerships/alliances)
- Understanding of international transportation pricing practices and associated administration
- Ability and experience negotiating with agents, carriers and domestic vendors to secure desired service and pricing
- Ability to read and understand ocean carrier contracts
- Ability to provide support and guidance to agents, clients, sales people in regard to routing/pricing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interpret foreign language to English translation (If necessary but unlikely)
- Understanding of industry used terminology
- Experience working in a fast paced, team oriented, deadline driven department
- Problem solving experience and confidence to challenge status quo
- Computer literacy and strong organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills
Job Type: Full-time
Due to what we anticipate will be a high volume of applications, we regret that we will be unable to respond to all applicants. We thank you for applying. No phone calls, please