Business Development Manager
Builds GES market position, brand and profitability by prospecting, defining, developing, negotiating and closing 3PL business opportunities that are well aligned with company's growth objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Responsible for business development activity for both new/prospective and existing customers, as assigned by the company. Activity includes development work both along specific trade lanes and in targeted industry verticals. Responsible for growth targets and objectives, in accordance with company's strategic plan. Interfaces with GES operational team and network operators, to ensure outstanding customer service and grow the business via a coordinated push/pull global sales effort. Provides regular reporting of sales, P&L and operational activity as per deadlines and company requirements. Provides suggestions to management on continual process and service level improvement and implements such initiatives accordingly.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong working knowledge of freight forwarding services, including ocean (NVOCC) and air freight (import & export), consolidation, customs brokerage and related value added information services. The ability to sell solutions oriented 3PL products (PO/Vendor/cargo management & origin services, warehousing/distribution, etc.) is important.
- Successful candidate will possess excellent interpersonal and communications / presentation skills, both written and oral, coupled with a sharp business acumen and consultative sales approach. The Business Development Manager will have a strategic planning approach, as well as solid organization, problem solving and negotiation skills. This self-motivated and disciplined individual will have a highly professional touch when dealing with customers and colleagues, drawing upon their leadership skills.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year University, ideally with major/concentrations in business/marketing, logistics and/or supply chain management, or equivalent degree.
- 5 years of related outside sales experience, with a demonstrable book of business and strong shipper relationships in diversified industries.
- Relevant Sales knowledge and experience, including ocean (NVOCC) & air freight, both import and export. Ability to sell/represent the company's other lines of business including customs brokerage, consolidation/CFS and related value added information services.
- A unique combination of good interpersonal and communications/presentation skills, both written and oral, coupled with a sharp business acumen and consultative sales approach.
- 3PL business development experience in both trade lane and industry verticals, with a proven methodology to segment and target high potential sectors, then position GES for success in winning qualified opportunities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a strong working / user knowledge of CRM software, as well as other tools regularly utilized in the sales & marketing profession (Word, Excel, MS office, PowerPoint, internet browser, etc.).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid Driver's License
- This job may have supervisory responsibilities, depending on the region/territory.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Good working knowledge of freight forwarding services, including ocean (NVOCC) and air freight (import & export), consolidation, customs brokerage and related value added information services. The ability to sell solutions oriented 3PL products (PO/Vendor/cargo management & origin services, warehousing/distribution, etc.) is important.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the education, knowledge, skill set and experience described above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.