Thin Film Coating Process Engineer
Provide technical support to manufacturing in the resolution of production problems, introduction of new products, waste reduction, and process improvement. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Select deposition equipment based on application and mirror coating requirements.
- Specify process requirements, inspect equipment, write specifications, set up equipment, run experiments, collect data, tweak chamber parameters, write up process instructions, and train operators on equipment specifications and processes.
- Own and manage process during process sustainment, ensure all coating equipment consistently performs according to requirements and recommend repairs, upgrades, modifications, or new equipment purchases.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis on chronic product problems and implement corrective/preventive actions.
- Assist in developing and implementing Quality Management System for coating lab.
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures for all processes. Optimize process run conditions and document.
- Strong demonstration of presentation skills.
- Minimum 2 years of experience of Process Design and Engineering
- Strong experience running Thin Film Deposition Systems
- Experience using Thin Film design software, TFcalc ,Optilayer, Macleod,
- Strong Experience Maintaining and repairing coating equipment.
- Bachelor's degree in Materials Science, Physics or one of the Engineering disciplines.
- Six Sigma certification a plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical skills, utilizing effective trouble shooting and problem-solving techniques
- Ability to design AR and HR coatings from UV to mid IR
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with co-workers, customers, and suppliers
- Strong work ethic, displaying attention to detail, initiative, adaptability, and integrity; team player, strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Knowledgeable of good housekeeping and safety practices in a clean room environment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, and to exercise sound professional judgment
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.